Tourists and business people from near and far often visit the neighborhood around Rattle N Hum.
- We’re a block away from the Empire State Building, which more than 3.5 million tourists visit each year. It is also the second-largest office building in the US, after the Pentagon, and thus attracts almost as many business visitors as tourists.
- We’re about 5 minutes from Penn Station, which is a transit hub for Amtrak, New Jersey Transit, the Long Island Railroad and six subway lines.
- We’re also 5 minutes from Madison Square Garden, the World’s Most Famous Arena.
- Lastly, we’re about a ten-minute walk (or one subway stop) from Times Square, Grand Central Station, the NY Public Library, Bryant Park, the United Nations, and Madison Square Park.
In light of our proximity to so many important business, cultural and tourist venues in Manhattan, it is no surprise that the neighborhood around Rattle N Hum harbors quite a few hotels. Some are historic, and some are newly updated and offer the best value in midtown Manhattan hotels.
Savvy business people and tourists love that, a mere ten minutes away from Times Square, Grand Central and the United Nations, they can find a first-rate hotel at a discount price.
Now we don’t mean rock bottom prices – the cheapest hotels in Manhattan are not for the feint of heart. No, we mean hotels that are clean, comfortable, provide good service, and are conveniently located, but perhaps with smaller rooms or fewer amenities than you might find at other hotels. But you don’t come to New York to hang out in your hotel room, and you can find every amenity your mind can conjure somewhere in NYC.
Another thing to note is that, across the board, hotel prices vary widely depending on the season, night of the week, etc. Often the best deals are those booked within a week of arrival.
With that in mind, some of our favorite nearby hotels that provide a great experience at a good price:
- The NYMA Hotel, about a two-minute walk from Rattle N Hum at 6 W. 32nd St., opened about ten years ago and was renovated and rebranded in 2010 as an independent hotel. Its rates are generally in the range of $140 to $240 per night. It offers free WiFi (we HATE paying for WiFi), free breakfast and reduced rate parking up the block. We think that, all-in-all, it is one of the best discount hotels in New York, and more than 800 4-Star reviews of NYMA Hotel on TripAdvisor agree.
- Right across the street from NYMA is LaQuinta Manhattan, which, like NYMA Hotel, is managed by Apple Core Hotel Group. It also offers free WiFi and breakfast and reduced-rate parking nearby. Frommers calls it “a top Midtown budget choice” and notes that it is housed in a 1904 Beaux Arts structure. Frommers report that “service is friendly…. the rooms are basic in motel-room decor and size, but there’s nothing wrong with that, especially at these prices.”
- Hotel 373 is a deluxe, boutique hotel at 373 Fifth Ave., near 35th St. and about a 3-minute walk to Rattle N Hum. Reviews of Hotel 373 on Hotels.com average to 4.0 out of 5, and note it offers one of the best deals on NYC hotels.
- For those looking for a great deal on a room but in a more upscale environment, the Roger Williams Hotel is for you. It’s at 31st and Madison, just a three-minute walk from Rattle N Hum. Check out Quikbook’s video review of Hotel Roger Williams.
- The Herald Square Hotel, a boutique hotel at 19 W. 31st St. is often booked, so it can be difficult to find reservations. If you’re fortunate enough to find a room, you may find yourself agreeing with those who recently gave it stellar ratings on TripAdvisor.
All of these places provide fine lodging at a fair price, but most do not offer a full-service bar or restaurant, and one of them offer the best craft beer in NYC. Thus, you probably found this post by Googling something like, “best bar near Empire State Building,” “lunch near Hotel Roger Williams,” “brunch near United Nations,” or “best craft beer midtown NYC.”
So, when staying in the neighborhood, make us your true NYC home. Sure, the fine hotels mentioned above are where you lay your head down, but Rattle N Hum is where you set your head right. Not only do we have 40 taps pouring the finest craft beer in the world, and a full bar of liquors and wines, we also offer outstanding pub fare with a Celtic twist, and world-class hospitality from a gracious staff of bartenders and wait staff. We’ll transport you to a new land, away from all your worries, but you won’t suffer any TSA security checkpoints along the way.
We’re located on 33rd Street between Madison and Fifth Avenue. Call us at 212-481-1586 to make a reservation.